Thursday, March 1, 2012

Roasted Carsmallows

            The other afternoon I was settling in for a nice nap and did doze off for a good twenty-minutes, when all of a sudden I was awoken by a barrage of sirens. For a moment I thought we were being invaded by USSR the way emergency vehicles seemed to have been swarming from all over. I peeked out my window and saw a couple of firetrucks pass by, along with a police car. The firetruck needed to honk its horn every two seconds just to make sure I was fully awake at this point and had absolutely no shot at falling back asleep.

             Laying on my pillow in a feudal attempt to get more sleep, I kept hearing the sirens and would occasionally have a red or orange light flash in my window. I figured, whatever the cause of this is, it must be something big(and it better have been for my sleep to be interrupted). That all lasted for about a good two hours. I checked all the local news stations during the night to get an idea of what all the commotion was about, but nothing was mentioned. The following afternoon had decent weather and clear skies, so I decided to take my bike out for a little spin. At this point, probably with a dozen other things on my mind, I had completely forgotten the mysterious siren-issue from the day before. I rode about two blocks and I was rapidly coming upon a weird looking jeep. As I got closer, I realized the vehicle must have recently been on fire since it was showing signs of such damage; The front part of the jeep was totally burned, the windows were blown out, the mirrors were melted, and the hood was mangled. I took a look at the inside of the jeep and saw pretty much everything inside was burnt or melted. The only item to still be intact was the Chinese food take-out menu someone must have dropped on the driver's seat after the fire. My anger over losing sleep the day before subsided from the fact I was able to see something awesome out of it.

              Perhaps all those emergency vehicles were scrambling around to find a bag of marshmallows...

No comments:

Post a Comment