Friday, October 21, 2011

The Best Corned Beef in New York City: Pastrami Queen on Lexington and E. 78th

           With the City of New York as the headquarters for Corned Beef, the question is always asked who has the best. Most of the hype always goes to Katz or the Carnegie Deli, which are solid in their own right, but have fallen into the commercialized realm, the real gem is the Pastrami Queen on Lexington Aveune and E. 78th. It's right near the 77th Street station on the 6 Train line.

           This smaller sandwich shop/eat-in resturant provides a better quality of meat and less hectic atmosphere which allows you to enjoy your food in peace. I've done Katz a couple of times and its alright, but I found their meat too salty and overall they treat you like a piece of meat with the little tickets you hold and have to get punched each time you order something. The other night I tried the Carnegie Deli Corned Beef and it was also alright, but again didn't get the same wow factor that I have gotten from my visits to the Pastrami Queen. Also, didn't have to put up with tourists looking at the wall to wall autographs that Katz and Carnegie have to flaunt. Okay, we get it, you two have been around a long time and many famous people have eaten there...

         How I found the Pastrami Queen occured when I was on my way to the Whitney Museum and I had gotten off the 77th St. 6 Train Station in search of something to eat first. I would have settled for a typical diner, but as luck would have it I found the Pastrami Queen. (Get the Half Corned Beef - Half Pastrami Sandwich with a side of Mash Potatoes w/ Gravy)


        

No comments:

Post a Comment