Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Tranquility of a Diner at Midnight

            Earlier tonight I found myself bored and in need of a snack. During the late hours the options are pretty much limited to either a 7-11 or a 24 hour diner. Since I was more interested in eating at a place, I chose the diner and it turned out to be a great idea.

            After getting a seat at the empty counter, I went with a slice of lemon meringue pie and a hot cup of coffee to satisfy my craving. The pie wasn't anything special and the coffee was average at best, but taking in my surroundings I had an excellent time. There were only about two or three other patrons in there at the time, so it was quiet, the music was real low, the workers were mingling amongst eachother in whispers, something about made it an ultra-relaxed environment. Whatever concerns or worries I had seemed to have vanished in the twenty-minutes I was in there, plus I got to learn something new. At this particular diner only the management is authorized to slice the cakes. I'm guessing there was an episode in the past were a worker gave an bigger than standard slice to a patron, and as a result, a policy was created. It was the first time I ever heard of something like that.

           Perhaps it was the fact that it was late at night, and since it's a 24 hour establishment, there was no rush for me to finish quickly, or perhaps it was the fact it was so quiet, but whatever it is I think I found a solution for relaxation. The check that night came out to $5.44, I also left a dollar tip at the counter, but the check could've been $20 for all care and it still would have been worth it...

No comments:

Post a Comment