Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The 80's Party

            For the past couple of weeks I had been looking forward to a party I had been invited to from a former co-worker I stayed friends with, but snow and a trip to Yankee Stadium had made this past Saturday busier than I thought it would be. I knew about the party a good two weeks in advance, but only two days before the day of the party, I was informed I had an appointment for Saturday at 11:30am at Yankee Stadium if I wanted to update or upgrade my season ticket plan for the 2012 New York Yankees. At the beginning of each year, the Yankees invite season ticket holders to come to the stadium before the baseball season starts to either add more seats to their plan, pick a different plan, or even change their seat location. The goal for my appointment was going to be to change my seat location from far out in right field to behind home plate, which I think is a better view, and lower costing, even though I have to sit higher up than previously. So far I had the party, and the Yankees, next came the snow. The night before, snow started falling from the sky and by the next morning it had accumulated a few inches.

            Not only was I facing the prospect of the party being cancelled, which I was looking forward to attending and seeing my former co-worker, but also it was possible my appointment for the Yankees would have been postponed, and who knows, maybe by the time I got there it would've been harder for me to switch seat locations to a place I wanted. That morning I opened my email and received a notice that although it was snowing, all appointments were still being held, so that was a major relief for me. I put on my Yankees hooded-sweatshirt and hat and took the train over to Yankee Stadium. Despite the snowfall, the trains were running normally and I arrived at the stadium in about thirty-five minutes. Typically I'm only in that area of the Bronx during baseball season when its not snowing, so it was strange seeing the place covered in white powder. Once I got inside and checked in, I was told to wait in the club suite in which they were serving coffee, tea, juice, muffins, bagels, croissants, and more, for free. I remember when I went last year there were hotdogs, but I found out that since it was early still, hotdogs would be coming out after 12:00pm. While I waited to be allowed to go out towards the seating area to see what was available, I stopped by the 2009 World Series trophy the Yankees won that was on display in the club suite for fans to view. They had someone watching it, but really a determined individual could just grab the thing and run out of the stadium.

             When it came time for our group to go out to the seats, everyone hurried out like they were on a shopping spree to grab the best avaiable seats. I knew what I wanted before going, so I immediately went to that section and happily found two seats for the taking. Once the stadium representative cleared everything, I went back downstairs to the club suite and worked out the administrative phase of making the change to my seat location. It was also by this time they switched from breakfast to lunch, so that's when they finally put out the hotdogs and soda. I made sure I had one before leaving, as well as stuffed my hooded-sweatshirt with a few cans of soda and a bottle of water for later. By the time I had returned home the snow stopped coming down, but I still wasn't sure if the party was still on or not. Just in case it was, I made sure to clean the snow off my car before it turned to ice later on. Luckily, I was parked in front of a tall house which shielded the car from getting too much snow on it, so cleaning it off only took about fifteen minutes. Some time later that afternoon I received a text message that the party was still on, so after a late lunch and a nap, it was time to get down for business.

            One of the stipulations for the party was that, not only did it require some type of 80's-related clothing, but men were highly encourage to have a mustache. I never really had a mustache before in my life and wasn't sure I would be able to grow one in time. My plan was to go about a week and a half without shaving, and then the day of the party, just shave my face, except for above my mouth. The final result wasn't a full mustache, but it looked hairy enough to do the trick. As for the clothing, I had some wild-looking shirt and pants combo I bought on sale in Marshall's almost ten years ago. I'm not sure if they would be considered 80's style, but the pants were rather tight and I had big sunglasses to go with it, so I felt confidant I could pass for an 80's person. The party was being held at my former co-workers house out in Long Island, which was about an hour's drive. Even though the snow had stopped, there was still the danger of icey roads and dirty salt covering the front window. Plus, more often than not, navigating the roads and highways of Long Island could be quite a challenge. Even with good directions, one is surely bound to get lost by the absurd amount of parkways and roads which all sound the same, and look the same. Inclimate weather, pitch black night, and the Long Island roadway design is usually a receipe for disaster, but luckily I had been to the guy's house a few times and remembered the route, otherwise the night could've ended up worse.

             At first, I thought it was just a normal party with an 80's theme, but more than that it was really my friend's birthday. I didn't know that beforehand, so I actually stopped by a bakery first to pick up a cake to bring over. When I got there I saw they already had a cake, a huge cake, made to look like an old Apple computer. It put my little cappuccino cake to shame. The house was incredibly designed with so many small detailed items from the 80's such as movie posters, concert posters, toys, candy, games, cartoons, and other items to take everyone down memory lane. Even the dog was equipped with its AC/DC t-shirt. The bathroom featured a Smurf's display on the wall and even had fake mustaches for guys who didn't want to grow one, or ladies who wanted to have one for the night. One television set was playing 80's movies all night with such titles as 'Revenge of the Nerds', 'Airplane', and 'One Crazy Summer'. Another television set was hooked up to a pac-man arcade-style video game. All along the speakers were pumping out hit songs from the 80's such as 'Love Shack', 'Beat it', and 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go'.

            The basement had a knock hockey table set up and most of the guys made sure they made their way down there for a few games. There were also a few drinking games as well, highlighted by battleship, but instead of hitting someone's battleship, you make your opponent have to take shots of beer. In addition, there was a shots roulette wheel in which if the ball falls on your color and number, you have to take a short. I don't believe my number ever came out, but I was given a shot anyways to take. In addition to the usual chips and pretzels found at a party, they had it catered with quesadilla slices, chicken-on-a-stick, and the highlight of the foods, pulled-pork sliders. When it came time we sung happy birthday and my friend's wife presented him with a nice collage as his birthday present which was made up of pictures of him when he was growing up in the 80's. The party went on till about 2am and then slowly people started to file out. Once it got quiet and it was only my friend and his wife left. The wife retired to bed and I had a chance to catch up with my old co-worker as we discussed the good ol' days as well as what we would like to do in the future. While we spoke for a few hours in the living room, we were also watching the Marlon Brando classic 'On the Waterfront' to make the switch from the 80's to the 50's. I was told earlier in the day that I could spend the night there if need be, so seeing it was late, the roads weren't the greatest, and I had a few drinks that night, they let me sleep over in the guest bedroom.

            I was able to get a few hours of sleep, but their cat decided it wanted me awake sooner as it scratched on the bedroom door until I opened it. Once I opened it, it saw I was in there and then went down the wall, guess it didn't want to come in. That morning I had a cup of coffee with my friend and his wife, helped pitch in a little with the cleaning, and had a few more knock hockey games in the basement. More people were supposed to come to the party, but due to the snow and some other previous engagements, a number of people didn't show. As a result, a large amount of extra food, drinks, candy, and 80's paraphernalia left over. Since I was the last guest standing, I was able to take home some posters, cases of soda, beer, big league chew, a slinky, silly putty, quesadillas, and of course, the pulled-pork sliders. I threw all those items in the backseat of my car and made my way back home. That night, I was going to meet up at a friend of my uncle's house to watch the next football playoff game for the New York Giants which was going to take place on the road against the San Francisco 49ers. As soon as I got home, I went to the gym to try to burn off all the calories from the party the night before. Also, not knowing the ridicule I would receive from showing up to the football party with a mustache, I decided to shave it off when I got back from the gym.

              The house the football party was going to be at was a short drive away, and good thing I burned off the calories that I did, because when I got there I saw pizzas, White Castle burgers, and a super long hero sandwich. That, and bowls and bowls of potato chips, pretzels, cheese doodles, and nacho chips, plus endless bottles and cans of beer to wash it down with. There were about ten guys there, but it was enough food for thirty. I didn't the know there was going to be so much food, so I also brought the leftover beer, soda, quesadilla slices, chicken-on-a-stick, and pulled-pork sandwiches from the 80's party. A little while later dessert was brought out in the form of cannolis, oreo cookies, lemon cookies, and a cheesecake, with coffee. The only problem was it was a very intense and gut-wrenching game to watch that nobody really had any appetite. I wanted to eat more, but my stomach turned upside down so many times from the action in the game that I couldn't think of food until the game would be over. The tension was high in the room as the winner would go on to play the New England Patriots in this year's Superbowl, the loser would have their season finished. The game kept going back and forth with momentum until the Giants got some breaks late in the contest and went on to a 20-17 victory. Everyone in the room jumped out of their seats in joy as all the anxiety that had been building in our chests slipped away.

             I was finally ready to eat something to celebrate, but all the food was already put away...















































































1 comment: