Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chili done My Way

            The other week I had burning desire to make my version of chili, so after two experimental attempts I finally narrowed down a good plan of attack. After selecting the pot to cook it in, its a good idea to spread some olive oil at the bottom so it doesn't burn the surface. First what is needed to go into the pot is an ordinary can of chili, but since its typically not interesting enough, more items need to be added. The usual can of chili doesn't have enough beans, so I like to add another can of beans, but only half the can so its not too many beans floating around. Next, to prevent it from being too clumpy I like to add in a can of tomato sauce. Plus the tomoto flavor helps sweeten the crumbled chopmeat thats in the original chili can.

            Another import flavor to help add to the sweet factor is two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, or just one solid pour. The fun part is the spices, I like to chop up half an onion into little cubes and strings. The trick is to chop the onion pieces as much as possible, otherwise it might make the chili too clumpy in the end. For whatever reason, this onion today was quite mean and had my eyes tearing like crazy. To me, the secret ingrediant that really makes the difference is curry powder. Don't be afraid to put in alot, I like to fill the cap up a few times and dump it in. (The only downfall of curry it stains cookware, so make sure to wash those rather soon after using them). Other important spices include a few spritzes of black pepper, and a few pinches only of red pepper flakes.

            Once all these items are in the pot, I like to take a simple folk and mix it all up before starting the fire. Give it about 10-12 minutes and when it starts simmering and popping bubbles, use the folk to mix it up a little more, and then let it go for another 2 minutes. Once it simmers and pops bubbles again, its done, turn off the stove and let it sit for a few minutes. Once the steams lets down some, pour the chili into a deep bowl and sit it on the counter for another minute to cool down even further. I like to dip something with chili, most prefer nachos, I like ordinary saltine crackers. Plus, I also like a slice or two of bread as well. Since its hot as it is, and has alot of spice, water is going to be necessary, otherwise you'll find yourself drinking an entire bottle of juice or soda, etc. Most of these ingrediants are already in most kitchens, so it only costs a few dollars on the can of chili, and dipping in that first cracker when its finished makes it worth it ten fold...









2 comments:

  1. I think you have to have quite a strong stomach for Chili to try this one James but I'll do it for my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe you added curry to your chili. Looks like your cooking skills are improving and that you are having fun :-)

    ReplyDelete