Friday, November 18, 2011

Fighting Grey Hair, Dumb Australian Family, and a Motorcycle Accident

            Whether its spelt grey or gray, I've seen grey hair crop on my head for the past few years and I'm not sure its from natural aging or stress from working in sales for quite a number of years. After doing some research online I discovered there's a remedy from the Far East called Amla berries, or Indian gooseberries. It makes sense since most of the times Indian people have dark black hair, so they must have something in that country the rest of the world doesn't know about.

            Most Indian markets have them, so I took a subway ride into the city today to pick up some. There's an area in Midtown on Lexington Avenue which features many Indian resturants and shops, so I figured it was best to begin my search there. I came upon a nice shop called Kalustyans on Lexington Avenue which had a large variety of different types of fruits, spices, oils, and other important ingrediants used for preparing food. I searched the store myself and came up empty, so then I went over to a woman who was stocking shelves and asked her, but she didn't speak English too well and suggested I ask the older man who was behind the desk, who I guess was the owner or manager. The only problem is the guy looked rather angry at the time as he was talking to one of his workers about a delivery he didn't receive. Both cashiers were busy tending to the customers on line to make their purchases, the guy was on the phone with his supplier about his delivery, so that left me no other choice but to scan the store again myself.

            After the guy got off the phone, he and one of his workers went to look at a shelf near me, so I figured this was my chance to ask him. Unfortunately he was so fixated on his delivery situation he walked right past me as I said excuse me to get his attention. I had to wait till one of the cashiers was not busy anymore to ask her if they had the amla berries. She wasn't sure, so she actually went over to the manager and was able to get an answer, and they had them. There were only three bags left, so not knowing how much I would need, I wound up taking two. They only cost $2.99 per, so it wasn't a big deal getting the extra bag just in case. I did want to maybe spend more time in the city since I was there, but it was cold, and I didn't feel like doing alot of walking, so I headed for the subway station to get back home. Ideally, I would've liked to have taken a nap on the train on the way back, but I didn't have a comfortable enough seat location, and I was on a car which had an annoying and noisy Australian family of tourists on it.

            There was a guy, I'm guessing who was the father, but I could be wrong as he seemed distant from the others at certain times, plus a mother with two sons aged in their middle teens. First of all, one of the teens was talking in a mucher louder tone than is normal when on a train filled with other people, and he was saying things like being the only white person in Harlem, stuff one really shouldn't say outloud on a subway. Then the father, who had a tattoo on his neck, picked up from under his seat what looked like the top part of a syringe needle. There was no needle, but this seemed to be the top half that does the injection. To pick that up with bare hands with bad enough, but then afterwards he put it against it leg and motioned as if he was injecting himself with something. If that wasn't bizzare enough, he also was having an issue with his watch not working properly, so instead of tapping it gently, he actually started punching it numerous times. Also one of the teens then started talking about the hotel they were staying at and even the room number. This had to have been the absolute dummiest family I've ever encountered.

             Finally I got to my stop and started walking towards my building, only to see a crowd of people gathered near the corner. Most of the people gathered were highschool kids with backpacks on, so I thought maybe a fight had just occured. Walking closer, I saw a large white SUV, with its hazard lights on, parked in the center of the intersection, so then I figured it was an accident. Once I made it to the corner I also saw a motorcycle laying on the ground with a person sitting on the curb, who must have been driving the bike. The person on the curb didn't look hurt too bad, but I'm sure he was shaken up by the collision. I didn't get inside the apartment till 4:05pm, so this accident must have happened a little before 4pm. It took until 4:12pm for the firetruck to show up, then the ambulance came around 4:20pm. I was expecting the police to show up soon after, but there was no sign of them. A police van did pass by slowly, but it was on route to go somewhere else and clearly wasn't called to the scene. The firemen picked the bike up and parked it on the corner, plus they instructed the driver of the SUV to park as well so he wouldn't be blocking traffic.

            The driver didn't seem intoxicated, but with any accident, there's always that possiblity, so one would think the police would come eventually just to check it out, especially due to the fact someone was hurt and taken away in an ambulance. 4:30pm came around, 4:45pm, and even 5:00pm, no police. The firetruck remained there with the driver of the SUV, so I'm guessing there were waiting for the police to arrive to fill out a formal accident report. I was started to get sleepy, so I gave up on the police arriving by 5:15pm and started to take a nap. When I woke up about two hours later the entire scene was clear, so they must have came eventually. This accident was one in many that occured at that corner. Everyday there's the sound of cars' tires skretching, followed by one motorist cursing out another. It's a tricky corner in which one street everyone speeds up on, and the other street are cars peeking out to see if the coast is clear. What occurs alot is cars peek out too far and don't see the speeding cars approaching. And I thought it was going to be a slow Friday...








                                   
          

No comments:

Post a Comment