Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Homeless Guy I Always See

            Homeless people and others who ask for money on the subways come and go, but for nearly five years I've been seeing this same guy on a number of different train lines. What sets him apart from the others is his manner of dress. He always has some type of burlap sack or blanket he cuts a hole for his head for, and then has the rest cover his body. It could hot weather, cold weather, or in between, and this is what he wears.

            What also seperates him from the pack is the sign he carries around. Most homeless people have signs with simple generic phrases such as 'Hungry and Homeless', 'Will Work for Food', or 'Homeless Veteran'. This guy's sign is a short paragraph, it seems like he puts a little more time into it than others normally would. I probably gave him some pocket change once or twice over years on the train, and quite recently I saw him in a 7-11 shop near where I live buying snacks. Tonight I happened to catch him at Grand Central Station reading a newspaper. He must have bad eyesight cause he was holding it right in front of his face...

No comments:

Post a Comment