Monday, November 21, 2011

Olympus FE-4030: You Lived, You Loved, You Left

            Sunday afternoon I was in the supermarket picking up some canned goods when I received a phone call from my uncle about an extra ticket to a football game that night. It was the Philadelphia Eagles visiting the New York Giants. The whole day I was looking forward to watching the game on TV, but having the chance to see it in person was an easy decision to make. In addition to the game, there was going to be tailgating festivities beforehand which I wanted to share as well, so I brought my trusty camera along.

             We all had to meet a someone's house first before making the drive to New Jersey, so while we were waiting for a few more people to show up, we decided to throw around a football to pass the time. I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and initially had placed the camera in the front pouch pocket. So naturally, when we finally were in the car on our way to the stadium, I felt the front pocket a realized the camera was gone. It took me about 5 seconds to come to the conclusion it must have slipped out of the pocket while throwing around the football. I felt bad not only losing the camera, but that night the tailgating food and seats we had would've made for alot of nice pictures.

            After the game when we got back to the house we all met up at, I quickly scanned around the area I was throwing the football around in, but couldn't find the camera. It also wasn't helping that it was late night at that point and very dark out. My only hope was to come back the next morning and try looking again in the day light. Those hopes also started to fade fast because then it started raining, so even if I did find it the next morning, it probably would've had irreversable water damage. With that in mind, I still came the next morning to search the area, but didn't find it. The only solution was to get another one.

             The house wasn't very far from a BestBuy, so I drove there to purchase a new camera of an almost identical brand and make of the one I lost. Since I already had the software installed on my laptop and many pictures already saved, I didn't want to switch brands. It seems the only way to get help at a BestBuy is to be the first customer there when the store is completely empty. The time it took for me to enter, get the camera, and check-out couldn't have been more than 4 minutes. This camera is the Olympus VG-140, very similar to the previous camera, except this one has a 5x Zoom instead of only a 4x Zoom. Not sure if that saves my life from a falling meteor the size of a house, but its a small upgrade I suppose.

            As for the Olympus FE-4030, I purchased it back in January of this year first to take pictures of a flock of geese that were nearby, but then as the year went on the camera and I had alot of fun together. There were the trips to Miami, Haiti, Montreal, and Montauk, NY. Within New York City there was the Bronx Zoo, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The Intrepid, Central Park, the Halloween Parade, the Paul McCartney concert and Derek Jeter's 3,000th Hit - both at Yankee Stadium, and most recently a cat show. There were also a long list of other random items I enjoyed taking pictures of. Out of all the cameras I ever had, I think this one might've been the best yet, so in rememberance, here's some pictures from that first day with the geese...





                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment