Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Under a Bridge as They Say

            Don't actually know if that's a real expression or not, sounds like one, but I did find myself under a bridge yesterday. With another unusual warm November day presented to me, I had no choice but to take my bike out for a nice long ride. A few blocks from where I live there's a bike path which goes along the Hutchinson River Parkway and leads to a place called Ferry Point Park. I've taken the path many times and have gone to the park, but once I reach the end point there's always fences which cut access to the other half. Yesterday was a different story, for the first time I had noticed the fences were removed and I was able to ride on to the other half of the park.

            Most of the path was freshly paved with new tar(probably the reason it was fenced off all this time), but as I got closer to the water the road became more rugged with grass and dirt covering the surface. Despite that, I was able to still ride on and I even went down a slight hill which I'm lucky I didn't fall over forward on while on the bike. This brought me to the base of the Whitestone Bridge, which connects the Bronx to Queens. From there I was able to get a great view Manhattan as well as airplanes passing over Flushing Bay to land at LaGuardia Airport. Also in a distance, another bridge parallel to this one, the Throgg's Neck Bridge, was also within sight. If I wanted to, I could've walked down even further to the beached area, but I didn't want to get sand in my shoes. Plus, there wasn't much to look at there except broken glass and other types of trash that was dumped there. As I looked up at the bottom of the bridge, it didn't seem like there was much that would be able to hold up all those cars. Probably the next time I drive over that bridge I'm gonig to wish I didn't know what it looked like under there...












                               


No comments:

Post a Comment