Friday, November 25, 2011

It was the Blue Tango

            About a month ago I uncovered the names of two songs I had been searching for quite a few years, well, I must be on a lucky streak because I unearthed another tune I had been on the trail on.

            What made this mystery tougher was that it was a pure instrumental piece of music, so there were no words or lyrics to do a Google search on. I probably first heard this one about ten or fifteen years ago, and what re-sparked my interest occured over this past summer as I was having lunch at an Italian resturant. While I was waiting for the meal to come out, I was sipping on a nice cool glass of white wine and dipping italian bread into a little saucer of olive oil that was on the table. The weather was perfect, the wine was good, the bread-n-olive oil was tasty, and to top it off that symphony started to play out of the speakers in the resturant. It was almost all too good to be true, but in fact it was all very real and happening right in front of me.

             I had noticed other songs and symphonies that were playing were likely room the 60's era, so based on that I concluded this mystery tune must be from the 60's. Not too long after that day with the melody fresh in my head, I started to do searches on Google, YouTube, and iTunes for all types of orchestra, symphony, and instrumental music from the 1960's. Unfortunately, after listening to hundreds of different titles I couldn't find the one I was looking for. I kept replying it in my head so it would keep fresh, but after a few nights of no luck, I put the project aside.

             Fast forward a few months to last night, something was telling me to give it another shot. Again, a few weeks ago I had success with two songs I was seeking, so with that in mind plus it was Thanksgiving night, maybe something special would happen. I started my search around 11pm using all the same tools as I had before: YouTube, Google, iTunes. About 4 hours later it was 3am the next day and I was just about to give up on it yet again. I ran one last search on YouTube and came upon a piece of music that wasn't the one I was looking for, but the instruments and the musical style sounded striking familiar to my mystery tune. The group was Mantovani & His Orchestra, so I did a search of other titles under that composer and after two or three titles, I finally found the catchy tune that had been in my head for all these years. Too bad 3am wasn't a good time for white wine...

"Blue Tango" by Mantovani & His Orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rymW8rvSEMM
                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment