Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My First Purchase by Myself in Haiti

            Every time I go outside in Haiti I’m usually with her, so a simple action like buying stuff is something I didn’t have to be concerned with. While I’m on my stay this December, she’s going to be at her job during weekday daylight hours, so that leaves me to fend for myself during the time I’m alone.

           Over the weekend I joined a local gym a few blocks away to give me something to do during the day along with my writing. This morning came the test as I went out all by myself and made the seven block journey to the gym. Afterwards, feeling a little bold, on the way home I passed by the local supermarket and made my first purchase with Haitian currency. I brought something I figured we could use, more toilet paper. They came out to $60 Gourdes for 2 rolls. Luckily the cashier punched up the number “60.00” on the register, so it was easy for me to figure out.
           I only took Gourdes out with me thankfully, otherwise I might’ve accidently spend $60 US on two rolls of toilet paper…

                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment