Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Nice Knowing You, Chicken

            Last week she had to travel five hours up north to an area called Cap-Haiten on a mission. On the way back home, her party stopped off at a marketplace to pick up various goods. To my surprise, she returned with two sugar canes, regular bananas, what seemed like a whole branch of mini-bananas, and last but not least, a live chicken.

            The chicken was tied up by its leg to the back porch so it wouldn't be able to escape. Another surprise I learned is that if chickens are left alone for an extended period of time, they actually die of loneliness. Although I wouldn't mind eating it, in no way was I looking forward to participating or even being around it's unnatural demise.

            Luckily her mother dropped by two days later to pick up the chicken and bring it to her house where she has her own stock for the chicken to mingle with. For that chicken, it's days are numbered.

            If I had the choice, I'd rather take the loneliness...