Thursday, December 8, 2011

This is What You're Having for Lunch

            The other night we were walking around looking for a place to eat dinner. There was a restaurant that served Haitian food that we wanted to go to, but for some reason we had difficulty finding it. We came upon a second Haitian resturant which looked like a house from the front, but actually the upstairs was a place to eat. So we walked towards the front and there were two guys there who informed us that the resturant is only open during day hours. Eventually, two blocks from there we came upon yet another Haitian resturant that was open and we dined there for the night.

             One day later I was in search of a place to each for lunch, and since it was daylight, I figured it would be a good idea to try the upstairs resturant that wasn't open the night before. So I went to the same area we encountered the two gentlemen, but this time there were two kids sitting in the front area watching TV. I made motion asking if the upstairs was open, so they responded in creole and I had no idea what their answer was. There was a car in a parking space, a third kid pops out of it and I ask for "resturant", he picked up on that at least and pointed me to a small place down the block. I guess there was no resturant upstairs, or maybe it was not opened at the time, I don't know, but anyways I went into the place the kid directed me to. The place was very simple with 3 tables and few folding chairs. A teenage girl was doing all the serving and there was no menu for me to point things out to, she just directed me to a seat and went to the back. About three minutes later instead of a menu, she just placed a chicken drum stick dish with sides of rice, fried plantains, macaroni, sauce, and radish in front of me.

              It wasn't what I ordered, in fact I nevered ordered anything, but that was decided I was having for lunch that day...

            

No comments:

Post a Comment