Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The View from The Gym

            While I'm in Haiti for most of December, I joined a local gym for the month to have something to do for the day and not feel like I hit a wall on the first day back to my gym in the US. The fee was $40 US for the month, which was fine with me. While signing up, they had me fill out an application, took my weight, and even took my blood pressure. For a second I wasn't sure if I was at a gym or at a doctor's office. The gym itself has three floors with the office on the bottom, the main gym with all the machines/equipment on the second floor, and lastly an aerobics room and the third floor. It's on that third floor where an extra staircase and ledge is built to house the exercise bikes.

            These exercise bikes are litterally bikes with the back tires propped up by some gysmo to keep from the bike itself from moving. I'm guessing due to the frequent blackouts and power shortages in Haiti, it doesn't make sense to have electrical treadmills. These older fashioned exercise bikes are dependable whether there's electricity or not. I don't particularily like exercise bikes, as I prefer real bikes in motion and would rather run on a treadmill, but what I enjoy about these bikes is that they're next to a window which provides a great view of a nearby mountain. There's probably about a couple of hundred little huts and houses sprinkled all over the mountain. At the very top is a large estate guarded by a large wall that wraps around the whole property. For some reason when I'm on the bike I keep looking at that mountain.

           Maybe I'm wondering if anyone goes to the top to ask to borrow a cup of sugar...



No comments:

Post a Comment